POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : knowledge extraction from povray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  knowledge extraction from povray (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Hassoun
Subject: knowledge extraction from povray
Date: 13 May 1999 19:21:21
Message: <373B5140.93A88E57@sympatico.ca>
Hi

anyone has info about the above subject, related to architectural
visualization?

tia

Hassoun

Post a reply to this message

From: Fabien Mosen
Subject: Re: knowledge extraction from povray
Date: 14 May 1999 17:53:05
Message: <373C8B6F.904FCDA9@compuserve.com>
Err...
could you explain what "knowledge extraction" means ?
Then, -maybe-, I could answer..

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

From: Hassoun
Date: 14 May 1999 23:25:39
Message: <373CDAD3.6BEABE13@sympatico.ca>
Dear Fabien

thanks for your interest in my question.

i will try to be precise in my explanation:

pov objects are created using descriptions of their shapes, position,
rotation and scale in space, and their surface properties. these
descriptions can be parametrized (if i can use the verb) in order to
make the object generic, and relate it to others thus have knowledge in
them:

e.g. the diameter of a greek doric column is equal to the tenth (1/10)
of its height.

thus the declaration of my column object in povray would be as follow:
#declare height=3
#declare diameter=(height)/10
#declare column=
cylinder{ <0,0,0,>, <0,height,0>, (diameter)/2}

so every time i change the height of my column, the diameter changes
accordingly. so both variables are related to each other in a very
specific way (knowledge), which constitutes an architectural type: the
doric order.

so every time i encounter a column that obeys to this type of relations,
i can confirm that it is a doric column. the principle can be applied to
other concepts like: symmetry, hierarchy, rhythm, study of proportions,
perception of forms, construction rules, etc... and lots of
architectural principles and concepts.

a povray file contains specifications of architectural objects, and
knowledge extraction (the approach i hope to develop) is to find a way
to extract all the knowledge (principles, concepts and rules) in this
file and synthesize it to produce clear definitions of the objects
contained within. (maybe using C or C++ algorithms, or LISP, or any
other suitable programming language)

i am not a programmer but i am working on it, that is why i need some
orientations.

feel free to reply
Hassoun

Fabien Mosen wrote:

> Err...
> could you explain what "knowledge extraction" means ?
> Then, -maybe-, I could answer..
>
> Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

>pov objects are created using descriptions of their shapes, position,
>rotation and scale in space, and their surface properties. these
>descriptions can be parametrized (if i can use the verb) in order to
>make the object generic, and relate it to others thus have knowledge in
>them:
>
>e.g. the diameter of a greek doric column is equal to the tenth (1/10)
>of its height.

>a povray file contains specifications of architectural objects, and
>knowledge extraction (the approach i hope to develop) is to find a way
>to extract all the knowledge (principles, concepts and rules) in this
>file and synthesize it to produce clear definitions of the objects
>contained within. (maybe using C or C++ algorithms, or LISP, or any
>other suitable programming language)

This is interesting, though I have the feeling the POV scene description is very
suitable for this. You need a very strikt way of writing your scene to be able
to extract. And for writing a good scene, you allready need to have (parts of)
the knowledge you are looking for, as you illustrated in your own example.

A different approach could be using XML, write your own Architectural Markup
Language. With this write documents that contain the structure, dimensions and
positions of your architectural objects (kindoff making a database). From these
documents knowledge can easy be extracted. You could even write a conversion
tool that makes a POV scene based on your document. There is lots of information
and free software (mostly Java, Perl) for XML on the net.
http://wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/Home/

I'm intersted in the results you get,

ingo

--
Met dank aan de muze met het glazen oog.