POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : REQ: Macro - Fill Sphere with Cylinders Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  REQ: Macro - Fill Sphere with Cylinders (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Ken
Subject: REQ: Macro - Fill Sphere with Cylinders
Date: 20 Apr 1999 21:44:58
Message: <371D1FCF.E5AA43BE@pacbell.net>
Good day people,

* Are you bored ?

* Do you need something to do ?

* Have you run out of ideas for projects to work on ?

* Do you like tackling new projects just for the challenge of it ?

* Do you just feel like a really nice person today and would like to help ?

* If you answered YES to any of the above statements then please read on.

   To date I have seen a few macro's written that will fill a particular
 geometry with spherical objects. I have not seen a macro that will fill
 a spherical or box shaped geometry with long cylindrical shapes. Possible
 uses for a macro of this type would be to fill a small bowl or dish with
 loosely piled, randomly rotated, tooth picks. There are countless other
 possible uses but I think this conveys the concept of the intended macro
 function. I found myself today momentarily considering modelling a similar
 scenario and dismissed it as too difficult to model without the aid of a
 macro or similar process solution.

  So how about it. Do I hear any takers for this challenging yet highly
 useful macro project ? We the Pov people of the world need your support
 and our words of praise for your efforts will not be small in number if
 you succeed.

 With kind regards,

 --
 Ken Tyler

 mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> * Have you run out of ideas for projects to work on ?
nop
> * Do you like tackling new projects just for the challenge of it ?
yep
> * Do you just feel like a really nice person today and would like to help ?
*laugh* no
> * If you answered YES to any of the above statements then please read on.
Well, no yes, but I'll read on.

>    To date I have seen a few macro's written that will fill a particular
>  geometry with spherical objects. I have not seen a macro that will fill
>  a spherical or box shaped geometry with long cylindrical shapes. Possible
>  uses for a macro of this type would be to fill a small bowl or dish with
>  loosely piled, randomly rotated, tooth picks. There are countless other
>  possible uses but I think this conveys the concept of the intended macro
>  function. I found myself today momentarily considering modelling a similar
>  scenario and dismissed it as too difficult to model without the aid of a
>  macro or similar process solution.
Hmm, it would be interesting, but to do this, the collision detection for theese
shapes need to be figured out, and to do so, it will probably mean that the
coder will have to store all points(start, end) in an array, and thereafter
compare each new stick with all the older ones, to see if they cross through
eachother.

This will generally become a O(N^2) for the collision detect, and I can't see an
easy way to implement a sorted algorithm to hold the points..

Well, I'll leave it cooking, but as you probably agree with me, I've kneeled POV
enough to work with  a new macro in a while..
(hehehe, the world creator actualy crashed the parser... *humma*)

>   So how about it. Do I hear any takers for this challenging yet highly
>  useful macro project ? We the Pov people of the world need your support
>  and our words of praise for your efforts will not be small in number if
>  you succeed.
Well, perhaps.

>  With kind regards,
the same.
--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Re: Macro - Fill Sphere with Cylinders
Date: 20 Apr 1999 22:36:52
Message: <371d2bb4.0@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message news:371D1FCF.E5AA43BE@pacbell.net...
> Good day people,
>

> * Are you bored ?
>
> * Do you need something to do ?
>
> * Have you run out of ideas for projects to work on ?
<snip>

No, they're all still working on my 'rolling ellipse' problem. At least I *hope* they
are!
;-)

Andy