POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color maps : Color maps Server Time
26 Jul 2024 19:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Color maps
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 21 Mar 2021 09:56:59
Message: <605750ab$1@news.povray.org>
So, I have been working with functions and patterns for a while now, and
aside from not having vector functions to easily create color values
with, I have run into an issue with the way POV-Ray maps things -
colors, pigments, textures.

Since I haven't experimented extensively with these mapping mechanisms
or gone through the source code to see exactly how they are handled, I
as far as I know, they only handle values in the range from zero to one.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has done any work that contradicts
this notion, or to hear how I might use negative numbers, large numbers,
or ways to get around the auto-wrapping-around of the color map.  I'd
like to subtract part of one color channel from the overall result of an
average {} pigment using a negative value, or saturate the color (to
white) by allowing large values.

Any data would be helpful.

Thanks!