POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ball of rings : Re: My bounding problem? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My bounding problem?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 30 Nov 2003 12:32:04
Message: <pllp91-hno.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Hugo Asm wrote:

> Apropos bounding boxes, does any of you have an idea why my recent rendering
> with a few hundred thousand blob components (maybe 300.000) has now taken 70
> hours to render in 800x600 and STILL need a few days??  I am completely
> stunned! I've split the blob into a grid of 8*8 blocks so that not all
> 300.000 components needs to be considered for every pixel... But... It's
> still so slow?

Splitting the blob components into several objects will usually not
speed up the render but slow it down.  If all components would have to
be considered for every pixel you probably would not even have finished
the first line yet.

> Maybe I should mention that I'm using focal_blur with 40 samples (not a lot,
> but enough) and I'm using pre-calculated radiosity settings.

Then i would not complain.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______