POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Who uses POV ray? : Re: so what are the applications? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: so what are the applications?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 11 Aug 2000 05:45:12
Message: <pge7pss8f9bg68jgk0p60ie0d359q13gl8@4ax.com>
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:26:51 -0700, Adam <bel### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>   Then, let me put it this way. Does anyone make good money using Povray.

I've never directly sold a POV picture (animated GIFs are, well,
anims) but I use POV in my web design work. I've rendered some home
appliances for the products section of a home appliances site. I've
used POV a lot to render buttons, animated logos, 3D toolbars and the
like. I know of at least two other people visiting these groups that
can relate.

I also often use it to set up the basic light interraction in a scene
and then paint over that in PhotoShop, keeping the lighting realistic.
An example is the gallery section of a site I am doing (my own,
actually :)) ) where I use MegaPOV's radiosity to render a room with
three picture frames and then use PhotoShop to put the pictures in
there, and the lighting remains intact.

>I'm talking computer art expos, product design teams, architects, city
>planning, anything of the sort.

I placed fourth in ComputerSpace '97, an international computer arts
compo held in Sofia. The picture I submitted was featured some POV
output collaged and post-processed and painted over in PhotoShop.

As of architecture, POV is not the best tool to model a building but
it can certainly render it better than AutoCAD or ArchiCAD. I guess
only Radiance in this price range could do better.

>I haven't heard anyone say a thing about the usefullness of Povray.

Had enough? :))

>People have been talking of it as if it were a sport, not a tool.

Mostly, but not exclusively. It has its uses.

>You have fun, exercise your mind, get your feet wet, join an
>international phenomenon, etc. That's something you say about scooters or
>Pokemon, not a screwdriver or a calculator.

That's the best part with computers. You can use them as calculators,
or for Pokemon (whatever *that* is), or for driving scooters (with a
good 3D card and surround sound :) ) ... you can even use a
screwdriver on them <grin>

So the bottom line is, POV can do a lot, it's up to the user to
choose.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet