POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten : Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 17 Mar 2004 02:14:32
Message: <pdb_NOSPAM-2941B5.18143017032004@news.povray.org>
> > No they are not, which is interesting because they often look 3D.
> > For further examples see
> >    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/peterdejong/
> >    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/clifford/
> >    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/fractals/lyapunov/
> As you are the one I got the idea from, how do you generate your attractors?
> How much points, what program, memory usage, runtime...

Since these aren't 3D I simply draw points on an image plane with
my own custom software. To get the nice grey/misty look I render
to a very large image, say 4k square and then scale it down with
antialiasing. I render millions, billions, ..... points, there is
no penalty except time because I don't need to keep anything in
memory except the final image which "evolves".

> Thanks a lot for your scc entry (which brought me to attractors), I really
> have a lot of fun playing with these.

There is something about them.....too bad no one voting in the scc3
thought much of my entry. :-)
--
Paul Bourke
pdb_NOSPAMswin.edu.au