POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu?? : Re: Ubuntu?? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:07:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu??
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 May 2007 21:16:50
Message: <pan.2007.05.08.01.13.41.158260@nospam.com>
On Mon, 07 May 2007 18:17:33 -0400, Dave VanHorn wrote:

>> My povray setup involves typing the scenes in vi (syntax highlight, word
>> completion, keyboard macros etc) and calling my custom povscript from
>> the shell to render the scene.  Fast and lean...
>>
>> It's a good alternative to get away from the M$ blackhole.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I just scrubbed Vista off what was my M$ Slutbox, and installed Fiesty
> Fawn. I'm still looking for a solution for my PCB and Schematic tools
> which run under dos, but other than that, I like it.

Try DOSBox - that may do what you need.  Otherwise, VMware or another
virtualized environment should work for you unless there are custom
hardware hookups involved.

> I subscribe to the MAP program, so I get MS office, OS, and server
> products for "free", and I still don't think they are worth using.  That
> should tell you something.   Vista was about the most unimpressive
> "upgrade" I've ever seen.
> Move 11G between two fast hard drives, would you believe SEVEN HOURS?

Hehehehe, I have a subscription to MSDN, and VMs for Windows 2000 and XP
for some work-related stuff, Moray, and the Blackberry Desktop software
(which is mostly obsoleted now that I've got an account on our BES at
work) and am even named as one of the technical contacts on the company
contract, apparently - but I use the stuff so rarely any more that I'm
considering having them drop my subscription.

Jim