POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ocean wave simulation : Re: ocean wave simulation Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ocean wave simulation
From: Lukas Winter
Date: 5 May 2007 05:23:11
Message: <pan.2007.05.05.09.23.10.376056@removeit.geloescht.net>
Am Fri, 04 May 2007 08:24:42 -0700 schrieb William Tracy:

> You probably can't share the finished work--GPL code cannot be used inside
> non-GPL programs. There's nothing wrong with releasing the *patch* itself,
> and letting people compile it themselves, though.
>
> Otherwise, the GPL code can call other code, but the other code cannot
> call the GPL code, if that's possible.
>
> Barring that, you need to get someone to change to a different license.
> :-(

Does that mean I can release diffs of the POV source files, as long as I
don't offer any GPLed library (so someone who wants to compile this patch
has to download the libraries himself)? Can I release the fully patched
POV source files? I don't care, which license the patch will be released
under, because writing it is just a simple task of having a closer look at
Aqua Library and POV-Ray and then combining the two.
Otherwise I'll simply write an application, which exports the data as a
mesh2. Many people don't want to compile things themselves anyway.