POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isoBox macro : Re: isoBox macro Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:57:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isoBox macro
From: povray
Date: 18 Nov 2006 15:43:02
Message: <pan.2006.11.18.17.26.29.215251@localhost>
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:13:15 -0500, Ross wrote:

> In a scene I am working on, I am building it up with just plain primitive
> boxes but when I have the layout all done, I'd like to make them isosurfaces
> so I can deform them with noise or pigment functions. I couldn't figure out
> an easier way than make a macro that takes the same vectors that define the
> box, plus some other parameters, resulting in an isosurface.
>
> This may not be usefull for anyone else but me (meaning, it works on the
> scale I'm working with, your results may vary... and it's not tested
> heavily), but here's the macro and sample output.
>

> // requires the standard f_rounded_box function
> #include "functions.inc"
>
> #macro isoBox (vB1, vB2, fRad, vT1, fDeform, fDeformMagnitude, fAccuracy,
> fMaxGradient)
> // Paramters:
> // vB1 = box vector 1
> // vB2 = box vector 2
> // fRad = radius for f_rounded_box
> // vT1 = deformation translate vector (moves the function away from the
> origin)
> // fDeform = function to deform the box by
> // fDeformMagnitude = scale factor for the deformation function
> // fAccuracy = isosurface accuracy
> // fMaxGradient = isosurface max_gradient
>
>  // X, Y, Z are scales for f_rounded_box
>  #local X = abs(vB1.x - vB2.x);
>  #local Y = abs(vB1.y - vB2.y);
>  #local Z = abs(vB1.z - vB2.z);
>
>  // translate the box so it's back where the
>  // box vectors would place it (f_rounded_box
>  // places it at the origin it seems)
>  #local tX = (vB1.x + vB2.x) / 2;
>  #local tY = (vB1.y + vB2.y) / 2;
>  #local tZ = (vB1.z + vB2.z) / 2;
>  #local vTranslate = <tX, tY, tZ>;
>
>  // amount to translate the deform function by
>  #local dX = vT1.x;
>  #local dY = vT1.y;
>  #local dZ = vT1.z;
>
>  // possibly make this a vector passed as a parameter
>  // so that each componant can be applied separatelt.
>  // not sure what to call it, but I use it to smooth out
>  // the resulting isosurface.
>  #local dSmooth = 0.33;
>
>  isosurface {
>   function {
>     f_rounded_box(x, y, z, fRad, X/2, Y/2, Z/2)-
>     fDeform( (x+dX)*dSmooth, (y+dY)*dSmooth,
> (z+dZ)*dSmooth).x*fDeformMagnitude
>   }
>
>   // this contained_by seems adequate for my needs.
>   contained_by { box { -(max(X, Y, Z)-fRad*2), max(X, Y, Z)+fRad*2 } }
> [...]
  0:00:00 Parsing
File: isobox_macro_posting.pov  Line: 30
File Context (5 lines):
// vB1 = box vector 1
// vB2 = box vector 2
// fRad = radius for f_rounded_box
// vT1 = deformation translate vector (moves the function away from the
origin
Parse Error: Expected 'object', undeclared identifier 'origin' found instead
Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)