POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : linux video encoder : Re: linux video encoder Server Time
28 Jun 2024 22:06:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: linux video encoder
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jun 2005 00:55:32
Message: <pan.2005.06.18.04.55.31.393233@nospam.com>
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:45:50 -0400, Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Screw it.  It's hopelessly confusing as to how to acquire the app-  I have
> to compile a bunch of stuff, and it has an inefficient interface-- lots of
> typing. So 1990ish.  I'll try TMPGENc and WINE

You're confusing an "inefficient interface" with a different way of doing
things.  I type about 90 WPM on average, so I find the interface *highly*
efficient, even if I have to --help to get the options I need.  I
personally find *anything* that requires the mouse to be extremely
*inefficient* because I have to take my hands off the keyboard, and that
just slows me down.  (IOW, insert arguement #327 here for CLI vs. GUI -
it's all been said before)

Taking the time to learn *is worth it*.

Depending on which Linux distro you're using, there are precompiled
binaries available.  I don't recall which distro you're using, but I know
with SuSE, I go to http://packman.links2linux.org.  For RedHat, I've used
rpmfind.net a lot to find precompiled packages.

Running something under WINE is likely going to take something of a
performance hit (though that's not always the case, I've run Windows games
under Linux with WINE and actually seen performance *improvements* on the
exact same hardware).

Jim