POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Posable mech : Re: Posable mech Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Posable mech
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Jun 2005 19:27:13
Message: <pan.2005.06.02.23.27.10.927023@nospam.com>
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:36:12 -0400, dlm wrote:

> Surely HG Wells 1898 classic 'War of the Worlds' takes the prize for
> granddaddy of the genre with his tripedal alien mecha? See e.g.
> http://www.stellabooks.com/images/hgwells/war_of_worlds.jpg DLM

Well, the mecha I've seen in the genre tend to be bipedal; but all I see
there is cover art, in the story 'The War of the Worlds', several
different types of machines are described (a shield that later becomes the
first of the tripedal machines), and a larger version ("higher than many
houses").

Certainly a case could be made that the device might be manned, but I
can't find anything in a quick scan of the text that says it is (or isn't).

While I'm far from an expert in what would constitue a Mecha, the genre
seems defined in terms of Anime and Manga, and little else.

Jim