POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Rendering several scenes from c++ program : Re: Rendering several scenes from c++ program Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:58:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering several scenes from c++ program
From: Vincent LE PRINCE
Date: 30 Mar 2005 12:38:13
Message: <pan.2005.03.30.17.38.32.86017@nospam.wanadoo.fr>
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:53:34 -0500, Cesar wrote:

> Tks for answering. I don't get it. What do you mean by 2 pipes? How do I
> separate text output from the data (if I understood correctly)? At first I
> won't need to catch error msgs, so I can use the "really more simple"
> version, but I'm interested in the more complex one too. :o)

Pipes are special files created by mkfifo function ( and some others ones ).
They are used to communicate between two programs. The first one ( pov )
writes to the pipe, the second one read in ( your program ). So you invoke
pov with '+GApipe1 +Opipe2 +FP' and pov writes all text stuff ( stats,
errors, warnings... ) to pipe1 and image data ( here ppm data ) to pipe2.
Then you have 2 threads, each of them reading a pipe. Not really easy, and
certainly the simplest solution, but it works !