POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : stream output handling pb : Re: stream output handling pb Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:40:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stream output handling pb
From: Vincent LE PRINCE
Date: 26 Jan 2005 12:28:30
Message: <pan.2005.01.26.17.31.11.854741@nospam.wanadoo.fr>
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:14:59 +0100, Nicolas Calimet wrote:

>> 	_ a console redirection '&> ' to a second pipe ( opened with mkfifo and no option
)

> 	The &> syntax will only work on csh-based shells.  For all the other
> shell familly (at least sh/bash and possibly zsh, ksh as well) you should use
> the 2> syntax in this case.

I tried '&>' and also '2>', '1>'...

>> I feel povray does not flush its streams before starting to wait for user click...
Any idea to workaround this ?

> 	The stats cannot be flushed until the very end of the rendering, as they
> include wall-clock time information.  Normally stderr (that you get with &>) is
> not buffered, so you should get its content without delay.  Most likely the pipe
> itself induces input buffering (it makes your connected process read from stdin,
> which is buffered).

In fact i just want to know when render is finished... I used to get ' rendering line
n f n' on one pipe
and 'Click on window to exit' on the second one. Now i get 'rendering line n-m of n'
on the first one and
nothing on the second one. I don't really need complete statistics... Just try :

	povray pov.ini +Istuff.pov +P +GAstats.txt 1> output.txt

When pov pause who don't have anything in output.txt and stats.txt is incomplete.
There is no element that can tell me that render is finished...

Thanks !!