POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Human skin : SSS and faking method : Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Human skin : SSS and faking method
From: JS
Date: 7 Jan 2005 07:24:48
Message: <pan.2005.01.07.12.20.56.840465@spammers.allowed>
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:20:54 -0500, Rene Bui wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm working on skin+sss through pov media. Well... I would say : it's SSSo
> hard !
> As you know , too many translucent problems, a lot of time for tweaking
> and then waiting for render etc. etc.
> Now I say to myself : probably it's time to give up. :-(
>
> I'm not happy with the results but perhaps my eyes are simply tired.
> Anyway, here are some of my last tests.
>

> Rene
> (the old newbie)

Pretty good. The only problems I see are:

* Too uniform. Try adding random redder areas - at least my skin varies in
tone quite a lot. Also try adding other imperfections, and blood veins
(long areas of darker, bluish tone).

* No body hair. Human have a fur coat, even if it's sparse enough to not
be easily visible. It doesn't matter in the far shots, but closeups look a
bit weird without it. Maybe use sphere sweeps and near translucent, light
texture for it ?

* The bumbs in skin (especially the backs of hands) are not round, but
streched, all in the same direction. If you're using a bumb map, try
scaling it with 1.5 in one direction.

* Too much highlight - higlight makes skin look very greasy which
conflicts with the seemingly complete lack of dirt.

This is simply the old problem of computer models being mathematically
perfect, and reality being anything but perfect, and this making
computer-generated images seem unreal...