POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Life : Re: --( JAVA LIFE and 3D )--(0) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: --( JAVA LIFE and 3D )--(0)
From: SeeSchloss
Date: 18 Sep 2004 18:03:13
Message: <pan.2004.09.18.22.03.18.268971@seeschloss.org>

> Hi SS,
>
> I was working with CA's longtime ago on POVray. I had the same problems
> that you mention. I started to do CA's simulation in 3D and I tried to
> render 500x500x500 with a text file to remember the array.  This strategy
> was uncomputable (very too long). Then, I used java directly to produce a
> parsable file with the strict minimum for povray. The simulation is done
> in Java (fast) and it could be exported to POVray.
>
> Here's some examples;
>
> http://ingallian.design.uqam.ca/goo/VDO/gPov00.avi
> http://ingallian.design.uqam.ca/goo/VDO/aC3D-Stack.mpg
> http://ingallian.design.uqam.ca/goo/VDO/aC-XVID.avi

Nice, I just thought I should try to create an include file with an
external program, to see the improvement in parsing time. I modified a bit
the program I made some time ago in D for standard 2D cell automata...
parsing a 50x50x100 world in POVRay took 35s while writing a 500x500x100
include file (289MB !) with my program took 11s (0.037s for a 50x50x10
world and 43s for 500x500x500) :D

But still, it was not as fun as doing everything in POV ;)

And... well SS reminds me of not so funny things, maybe I shouldn't
capitalise the second S...