POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : A few possible bugs in POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2 : Re: A few possible bugs in POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A few possible bugs in POV-Ray 3.6 beta 2
From: Christian Walther
Date: 25 Mar 2004 04:58:18
Message: <pan.2004.03.25.09.58.33.115885@gmx.ch>
I'm experiencing some similar problems connected to file I/O in 3.6b2 on
Mac OS (3.6b2 build 189, Mac OS X 10.3.2, PPC G4 867MHz, 768MB RAM).

The minimal scene is the following, the (slightly modified) example from
the docs (2.1.2.3.3):

#fopen MyFile "mydata.txt" read
#while (defined(MyFile))
  #read(MyFile, Var1, Var2, Var3)
  #debug concat(
    str(Var1, 0, 3), " ",
    str(Var2, 0, 3), " ",
    str(Var3, 0, 3), "\n"
  )
#end

When mydata.txt doesn't exist, I get "Possible Parse Error: Could not find
file 'mydata.txt' File test.pov line 1" in the Messages window, and the
Render Progress window indefinitely displays "00:00:00 Reclaiming memory"
with a barber pole. When I click "Stop", the Message window says "Stopping
render, please wait...", but nothing else happens - I have to quit POV-Ray
and restart it to get it into a working state again.

When mydata.txt contains N comma-terminated floats, and possibly one more
without trailing comma, the first (floor(N/3)) #reads succeed and the
corresponding debug messages appear, afterwards the Messages window says
"Parse Error: End of file reached but #end expected. File test.pov line 3"
and POV-Ray crashes shortly after (I can send the crash log if it helps).

By the way, #read and #write are not syntax-colored in the editor window.

 -Christian