POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Bridge Too Far? : A Bridge Too Far? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  A Bridge Too Far?
From: Tyler Eaves
Date: 27 Nov 2003 18:26:37
Message: <pan.2003.11.27.23.28.04.190221@tylereaves.com>
Here's an early (VERY early) look at what might end up going into the
current IRTC contest. It's a giant (The arch is 13000ft, the canyon is
well over 2 miles wide, and over a mile deep) arch bridge. This is almost
a 'storyboard' quality image at this point. The arch is a proper catenary
cirve, so this should work from an engineering standpoint, provided strong
enough materials can be developed. There will be two flat roadbeds (or
mayube railbeds?) across the canyon, one on either side of the arch.
Anyone have an ideas on how to get the height field looking better? Better
texturing will certinaly help, and I'm using smooth already, but it's
just... kinda ugly. I know a 16 bit image would help tons. Anyone willing
to take a 8bit png and 16bitize it for me?

Well, anyways, this is after, oh, maybe 5 hours of work.

Anyway, the image is actually kinda big, so I'm posting it to my website:

http://tylereaves.com/bridge.jpg