POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Animation software : Re: Animation software Server Time
2 May 2024 04:57:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation software
From: David Burnett
Date: 7 Apr 2003 14:34:11
Message: <pan.2003.04.07.18.33.33.325134@ntlworld.com>
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:04:29 +0200, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <pan### [at] ntlworldcom> , "David
> Burnett" <var### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:
>
>> I'm guessing that its a resource fork problem. I'll probably take this
>> up with the mediapipe people.
>
> How can there be a problem if the files are identical?  You are doing
> something wrong when transmitting the file ... because your other
> statement suggest you are on Mac OS X, and there is no setting for
> QuickTime on Mac OS X to put movies into resource forks (there is on Mac
> OS 9).

The reason all this is happening is due to, for some reason best left to
apple to explain, the quicktime moov header is in a resource fork.
Persumably diff, being a unix command is unaware of such things. The 'ls'
command shows the files to be the same size. I'm a command line junkie so
didn't notice that according to finder there's a 4k difference.

Apparently to solve this problem I have to buy QT Pro or equivalent and
use the save as option to create a 'self contained movie'. I'm getting
this second hand so that may be totally correct (can someone please
comfirm this as I'm not in the habit of buying software to get
functionality that might not be there) as it is I downloaded
GraphicConverter and found the equivalent option. I can now copy the file
with abandon and it plays from a website. Then Slime goes an moans that its
a QT movie :-).

Dave