POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : randomish (~38K) : Re: randomish (~38K) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: randomish (~38K)
From: PoD
Date: 8 Jan 2003 06:59:43
Message: <pan.2003.01.08.11.59.41.263190@internode.on.net>
On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:17:39 +1100, Edward Coffey wrote:

> PoD wrote:
>> I was playing around with generating geometric shapes using random
>> numbers constrained by certain conditions.
>>
>> This one uses the following algorithm
>>
>> start with a point in space
>> while n < some_number
>>   add plus or minus one to one of x,y or z if the new point is within a
>>   certain volume ( in this case, near
>> the             surface of a sphere)
>>   add the new point and a cylinder connecting this and the previous
>>     point
>
> Do you have other constraints - like the number of times a point may be
> visited? It would be interesting to see if it could fill much of the
> volume if you only let it visit each point once.

At the moment it will go to any of the adjacent points regardless but tags
the point as having a sphere and the two points as having a cylinder so
that only one object will be created.

I'll have to try only visiting empty points.  I suspect that large areas
would become 'walled off' unless a lot of the volume was allowed to be
used.