POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Assigning different textures to triangles in a mesh : Assigning different textures to triangles in a mesh Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Assigning different textures to triangles in a mesh
From: Mark M  Wilson
Date: 8 Sep 2002 22:39:12
Message: <pan.2002.09.08.22.41.46.519914.1820@att.net>
Er, I thought you were supposed to be able to have different triangles in
a mesh have different pigments or textures, but I'm getting seemingly
contradictory error messages when I render.

I have a mesh that I want to use for some panes in a "stained glass"
window, and I want the triangles to be of different glass textures from
the glass.inc file.

I'm specifically trying to use the Col_Glass_Winebottle on individual
triangles, like so:

#declare leaf_window =
mesh {
	etc...
}
but it chokes on the first one, saying
-- Parse Error: Expected 'texture identifier', colour identifier found instead

so if I change the above to say "pigment { Col_Glass_Winebottle}}", it
says:
Parse Error: No matching } in 'triangle', pigment found instead

So which is it, a texture or a pigment ?  WTF?!?
The docs use a texture statement within individual triangles, so I know
I'm supposed to be able to treat each one separately.  What obvious thing
am I missing?
Thanks for any help!
Mark W.