POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : this : Re: this Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: this
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Jul 2002 13:52:56
Message: <pan.2002.07.01.12.50.05.131772.1524@mac.com>
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 16:12:38 -0500, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> I think I am very bad explaining it; it is a really unusual concept that
> doesn't even make sense in programming languages.

Ok, I think I'm understanding what you meant now...kind of a markup
language describing a scene with dynamic parts (expressions) that would
respond to the clock variable. The scene would be set up at parse time and
the non-constant portions would be re-evaluated for every frame or every
time they are accessed. You could have optimization detect three types of
expressions:

constant-for-scene, like "1" or "< 1, 3, 5>"

constant-for-frame, like "clock*3"

always-evaluate, such as a texture expression that uses ray or
intersection information.

>> You said everything would be a function...are you talking about an API
>> where you use functions to create objects in the scene?
> No!  I am not talking about destroying POV-Ray and turning it into a
> unusable piece of waste! ;-)

Good, I didn't like that idea either.

POV-Ray TAG e-mail: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
WWW: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/