POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : this : Re: this Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: this
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Jun 2002 14:14:26
Message: <pan.2002.06.30.13.11.30.28840.777@mac.com>
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:34:48 -0500, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Yu still inherit a bunch of problems from pointers/references which are
> not necessary.  After all, there is still no real need.  A function
> simply operates on whatever object it was called by.  It couldn't access
> any other object anyway...

Nobody said anything about pointers or references. I don't see how they
apply.

>> That sounds like my understanding of a functional language
> No, it would not because POV-Ray SDL itself describes a state and still
> would after such an extension.  The function would be nothing else but a
> user-defined type of texture, pattern, media, vector, float, matrix etc.

The structure of functions calling other functions and passing the
results to other functions could be the "state". But if that's not what
you are talking about, I have no idea what you are thinking of.

You said everything would be a function...are you talking about an API
where you use functions to create objects in the scene? Like
create_sphere(), add_object(), translate(), etc? That is the only other
way I can think of to interpret what you are saying, but it doesn't sound
like a very fun way to code a scene...

POV-Ray TAG e-mail: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
WWW: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/