POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : this : Re: this Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:30:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: this
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Jun 2002 14:22:02
Message: <pan.2002.06.24.13.21.39.584845.635@mac.com>
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:15:46 -0500, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> While it would not only not work practically when implemented as a
> parse-time variable, it is also not necessary if implemented as a
> render-time variable - the scope and object are always known and
> well-defined without ambiguity at that time!

Actually, I think it might work fine if everything has a default value
and is considered to exist at the opening { brace.
If that were so, this:
sphere {min_extent(self), 1}
would center the sphere on the min_extent of the default sphere. I don't
know what it would do for meshes or CSG though, and it might not give a
perfectly obvious result all the time...

I'm not sure what you are trying to say about implementing it as a
render-time variable...most of the uses I can think of for it are at
parse time.

POV-Ray TAG e-mail: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
WWW: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/