POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : my first animation: spheres and checkered plane (and springs, particles, water, ...) - 619kb : Re: my first animation: spheres and checkered plane (and springs, particles, water, ...) - 619kb Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: my first animation: spheres and checkered plane (and springs, particles, water, ...) - 619kb
From: Raphael Quinet
Date: 7 Jun 2002 12:02:43
Message: <pan.2002.06.07.16.02.42.409737.13134@gamers.org>
On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:33:08 +0200, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I'm usually the first to whine about exotic formats, but I saw this one
> with no probs.

Well, the format is not exotic (just standard MPEG created with
mpeg_encode) but the problem occured while posting the message.  Since
I cannot use my home PC for the moment (hard disk crash), I am using
another PC on which the newsreader does not support posting of binary
attachments (Pan is very nice for reading, but not for posting).  So I
had to create the mime multipart message by hand and do the base64
encoding of the file.  Apparently I lost the last 2 bytes while doing
the conversion.  That's why I was a bit worried, but apparently most
MPEG players are very tolerant and they play the animation without
problems.

> Cool!
> So what are the sparks?

The sparks are made with a bunch of particles that are moved by my
particle system.  Each of these particles is drawn as a sphere
containing emitting and absorbing media.  Nothing very exotic.  To
be more specific, here is exactly what these sparks are:

// definition of the sparks
#macro pps_user_draw_particle (index, p_pos, p_size, p_velocity,
                               p_orient, p_color, age)
  #local age_ratio = 1 - age / sparks_max_age;
  sphere { <0, 0, 0>, 1
    hollow on
    texture { pigment { rgbt 1 } }
    interior {
      media {
        intervals 1
        samples 5, 10
        method 3
        emission <1, 0.9, 0.6> * 10 * (0.5 + age_ratio)
        absorption <0, 0.1, 0.4> * 10 * (0.3 + age_ratio)
        density { spherical }
      }
    }
    scale 0.03 * sqrt (age_ratio)