POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
17 Jun 2024 08:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Aug 2023 01:11:53
Message: <pan$6a12f$bd2b7f0$b8cdb1be$e58210e4@nospam.com>
On Mon,  7 Aug 2023 19:05:23 EDT, Samuel B. wrote:

> You might want to change your mind about that, since I heard
> Chromium-based browsers will be making it harder (if not impossible) to
> use ad blockers in the near future.

Pi-Hole, Privoxy, and router-based blocklists work really well most of the
time here.  There are rare situations where I have to turn them off
(usually streaming services that *ahem* I PAY FOR AD FREE CONTENT FROM -
but they can't promote their new show or run the streaming service
'bumper' unless I disable it temporarily).

Chrome can suck it.  I like it as a browser, but there will always be a
way for a mostly ad-free experience.  (I connect my phone to a VPN out of
my home specifically so I don't have to deal with ads on my phone).

It really shouldn't be necessary to do that, though.

> (rant incoming)
>
> I'm done with ads. I hate them. I grew up watching them on TV and seeing
> them in magazines, and I have had my fill. Here's a great Banksy quote
> about advertising:

That is a great quote.  My view on advertising has always been this:  When
I want to buy something, I'll go look for what is the best option.  Until
then, GTFO of my face.  The more obnoxious the ads are, the less likely I
am to buy.  Same goes for salespeople - the ones who are pushy don't get
my business.  The ones who tell me what they do and then leave me alone
are going to get a look when I have a need I think they can fit.

I got really sick of e-mails from account executives "gently knocking" to
see if I had 10 minutes to listen to their pitch.  If I don't respond, I
don't have a need now.  Go away. ;)