POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Julia Fractals : Re: Julia Fractals Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Julia Fractals
From: Mike Williams
Date: 23 Oct 2000 14:11:00
Message: <p$rxCHAZk985Ewr8@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Simon Lemieux who wrote:
>>   Don't confuse the 4-dimensional julia fractals (which the julia_fractal
>> object is) with regular 2-dimensional julia fractals.
>>   If you want regular 2-dimensional julia fractals, there's a pattern for
>> that in MegaPov.
>
>I don't exactly know the difference, but I guess a 4D fractal is a repetition of
>a fractal design in space, thus making a 3D object... am I right?

No. 2D Julia fractals are created by performing certain mathematical
operations using complex numbers, and 4D Julia fractals are created by
performing the same sort of mathematical operations on quaternions.

Complex numbers have two dimensions - one real and one imaginary - so
any fractals generated with them are 2D.

Quaternions have four dimensions - one real and three imaginary - so any
fractals generated with them are 4D.

When you render a 4D fractal, what you see on the screen is a 3D "slice"
through the 4D object.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure