POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Differenced isosurface problem : Re: Differenced isosurface problem Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:35:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differenced isosurface problem
From: Mike Williams
Date: 6 Oct 2001 08:57:16
Message: <ot5RmDAdkvv7EwaO@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Ruy who wrote:
>I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this scene. I created an isosurface
>(the same you can see in the previous animation I posted) and differenced
>half of it from a plane.  When observed from sideways the result looks fine,
>but as I rotated it, a large white area appeared. Well, an animation with 60
>frames is woth 60000 words, so go ahead and take a look.
>
>If someone knows what I am doing wrong, please tell me. Oh, and if it is too
>obvious, feel free to nag me from here to Kabul.
>
>Here is the scene. It uses Ingo Janssen's "param.inc":

When you use Ingo's "param.inc" file, it converts your functions into a
*mesh2* object rather than an actual isosurface. Mesh2 objects can't be
used in differences.

The docs say:

   There are six totally thin, finite objects which have no well-defined
   inside. They are bicubic patch, disc, smooth triangle, triangle,
   polygon and mesh / mesh2. They may be combined in CSG union but
   cannot be used in other types of CSG (or inside a clipped_by
   statement).

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure