POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finally finished and guess what... 54Kb : Re: Finally finished and guess what... 54Kb Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:38:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finally finished and guess what... 54Kb
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Feb 2005 05:19:25
Message: <opsln4hmjqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>

<yaz### [at] gmxde> did spake, saying:

>   Nice... my first thought was "buckminsterfullerene"... is it in fact
> 60 spheres?

<grin> No it's about 90 small spheres and 20 large ones. In essence from
the topmost sphere go four small spheres down, four to the left, and then
back up and you'll see it's a triangle with a central large sphere. Copy
this around the top sphere 5 times, mirror it for the base and rotate that
so each base point is lined up with a cap vertex then join the two up with
another triangle. Sounds easy, but working out the exact angles for
slanting everthing so it all joined up was great fun, required much
doodling.

Still needs some optimising as I know I've got some spheres sharing the
exact smae space as other spheres. OOI how does POV-ray handle it if you
union two spheres in exactly the same space and then texture the union,
does it treat it as one object for reflection etc? I can't see any obvious
coincidents, but maybe some will show up on the close-up.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.