POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Charcoal and Chalk Steps - 53kb : Re: Charcoal and Chalk Steps - 49kb Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Charcoal and Chalk Steps - 49kb
From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Sep 2004 10:34:26
Message: <opsd9r3kq8efp2ch@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:23:42 EDT, Stephen
<mca### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote:
>> And lo on Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:54:11 EDT, Stephen
>> <mca### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:
>>
> And lo … did spake, saying:
>
> Pretentious moi? :-}
> LOL

How else would you write about a disembodied voice offering advice (good
or bad) and criticism ;)

> [snip]
>
>> The stairs are placed using a macro and have a light above the landing
>> which is either on or off depending on a rand, perhaps if I altered the
>> seed or increase the number of flights it might change the positioning
>> of
>> them. But hmmm switch them all off and go for an overhead skylight I'll
>> give it a go and see what happens :)
>>

> You know, the multiple lights take me back to when I did a milk round.
> (don’t ask when)

When? Oh sorry :P

> The tenements had lights on each landing and quite often a
> large skylight, made opaque by years of debris building up. The effect is
> similar but much darker. And as often as not, some lights would be out.

The original thought was a shot in Underworld and a similar one in Leon
 from the same viewpoint(with an elevator running up the middle in that
instance), originally it was going to be a dark realistic view, but then I
cocked up a setting (when checking the placement macros and using default
textures) and thought Oooo, but yeah I've been up similar sets of stairs
and that's why I set the lights. Only slightly more complex than an off or
on, either 0, 0.1, or 0.2.

The attached is a straight reversal of that #switch. Amusingly I prefer
this one although one of the lower flights is a touch bright, took me a
second too to work out what was causing that horizontal shadow middle-left
(idiot)

Did a quick try with a single placed light just below the camera in lieu
of a more complex skylight, top landing's not bad but everything below is
a bit flat, unless I add some more defining textures I think the shadows
cast by varying lights work better, might just spread the range more.

> Hmm, I remember picking up a cat instead of empty milk bottles. I don’t
> know who was more scared :-}

LMAO

> How about a post with lower light levels and chip papers on the stairs
> and
> the walls stained with …

Ketchup? Actually some sort of debris might look quite good, I'll have a
play when I've some time.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'steps2.jpg' (49 KB)