POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : many cubes [75 KB] : Re: many cubes [75 KB] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: many cubes [75 KB]
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 19 Apr 2004 15:26:43
Message: <opr6pxmsrnzjc5hb@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:27:53 +0200, JWV <jwv|at|planet.nl> wrote:
> Thanks for trying it! The level 4 scene should have about 48^4=5.308.416
> cubes. I am not sure how much memory is used for this amount, but it
> apears
> to be quite a lot.

There are ways to overcome such limitations and render fractals with
greater recursion depth. The most effective (in my experience) is to
generate a mesh (either externally or in POV-SDL) of the fractal at a
convenient depth, and then use that mesh as the low level building block
in the bigger fractal. The reduction in memory usage can be quite
dramatic. The important thing is to keep the total number of objects
within reasonable bounds. 48^4 cubes is a little much for POV-Ray to
handle; 48^2 or 48^3 mesh instances might work better. Unfortunately,
POV-Ray doesn't handle huge meshes very well, but you might be able to
reach level 5 (or more) that way.

---
FE