POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Dark (WIP) : Re: Dark (WIP) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dark (WIP)
From: Phil Cook
Date: 28 Apr 2004 05:37:52
Message: <opr65ubrwip4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:03:02 EDT, Rob Richens
<rob### [at] hscutahedu> wrote:

> Phil,
> thanks for the comments!
> I will have to play with the lighting if you can't even see what's going
> on.
>  I should have titled it 'Escape', which might have helped, but was
> thinking of the frustrations I was working through when I posted it.

No problem as I said: I like that sort of thing. "Escape" as a title would
have made more sense even though "Dark" was very apt :)

> It's still dark but I haven't printed it yet to see the final version.
> I've
> toyed with putting a blue plane above the hole and see if radiosity will
> help the lighting, but it's taking >6 hours now.  If I added radiosity,
> I'd
> have to beg some kind hearted soul with a renderfarm to do render it for
> me
> (Thanks again Paul!  I still get comments about Addict out there.)  About
> the light being directly overhead, do you mean completely illuminating
> the
> first skeleton?  I'm hesitant to change that because it would eliminate
> the
> need for him to be stretching behind him as he is to get the next bone
> while using the light column to see the parts he's already put together.

No I understand what you're trying to do, keep the point_at location the
same but with an overhead light it should sweep down the edge of the
skeleton a bit more, as if about to step into the column of light, should
hopefully highlight the edges of him a bit more.

> How about ramping up the reflected light from the floor?

Hmm I used a ambient 0 diffuse 0.4 for the checkered floor in my Flooded
Corridor with radiosity enabled, it showed up without much direct light so
might help.

> I didn't see the skull in the lower right!  It's actually a rock, but I
> think I will replace it with a skull in the same position.

Yeah when I really ramped up the brightness I suspected it might have been
a rock; but with the shadows it seemed to have eye and nose sockets,
freaky coincidence.

> I've toned down the normal textures on the doors, since I don't think
> they'll be visible anyway and have added worm/termite tracks in the
> surfaces and 'jaggied' the bottom edge to give more of a feeling of
> 'old'.

Now you've said it I can see one of the reasons why it looked 'new' to me,
a jagged edge would help. The disparate colours of each board helped with
the 'old' feel, the rusted metal seemed a bit red to me which probably
didn't help but I suspect that's only down to my altering the brightness.

> I'll post it in a week or so after I fix a few more things and it
> finishes
> rendering!
>
> Rob.

I look forward to seeing it.