POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten : Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:39:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Attractors by Manuel Kasten
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 21 Mar 2004 07:48:19
Message: <opr47p0pd6zjc5hb@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:44:43 -0500, Xilo Musimene
<xil### [at] cainternet> wrote:

>> "Strange Attractors: Creating Patterns in Chaos (ISBN 1-55851-298-5)"
>> by Julien C. Sprott
>
> Excellent Tor!  I've started reading this at my job (in secret since I
> shouldn't use the internet for personnal use!) and I found it extremely
> interesting...
>
> Actually, I decided to try to create a PHP script that will render one
> of these Chaotic attractors and I will try to work toward a more fractal
> attractor.  Eventually, I guess it will be pretty easy to port this PHP
> code to OpenGL and have an interactive animation of it.  I could even
> add a function that would output a povray code to render it...

I've whipped up a little program myself that can render these attractors
(among others).
Here are some results:

Manual Kasten's attractor (sin/cos-based):
http://hem.bredband.net/b230591/attractor/attractor1.png

 From the book (EAGHNFODVNJCP):
http://hem.bredband.net/b230591/attractor/attractor_2.png

 From the book (ETJUBWEDNRORR):
http://hem.bredband.net/b230591/attractor/attractor_3.png

Sierpinski triangle (random-based):
http://hem.bredband.net/b230591/attractor/sierpinski.png

> Now, I haven't read much of the book, but I wonder if it's possible to
> make nice looking strange att. in 3D?  Then POV-Ray will come handy to
> make nice stereographs of the object.
>
> Thanks,
>    Simon

3D-attractors (and even higher orders) are described in the book. Maybe
I'll do some experiments with them; just to see if the extra dimension is
worth the extra effort.

---
FE