POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Flooded Corridor 95k : Re: WIP - Flooded Corridor 95k Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Flooded Corridor 95k
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Feb 2004 09:21:24
Message: <opr3zd79qop4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:19:02 +0100, Hugo Asm <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote:

> It was not meant to depress you, but I suppose we all react differently.
> sometimes browse the net to find supreme raytracings and then I save
> them to
> my harddisk, so I always have them to compare my own work with. This is
> not
> making me feel hopeless, it makes me learn and set a serious goal from
> the
> very beginning. Maybe a smaller project that aims to master one
> particular
> feature. I know I can do it - it's just a matter of time.
>
> It was also not meant to "kick" you forwards, no. But to give you ideas.
> For
> example regarding the floor: Just by looking, I can't decide wether the
> floor is flooded with water, or you're trying to add irregularities to
> the
> floor itself, so it looks like a real-life material... It actually took
> me a
> while before I noticed the title of your post, which answers the
> question.

I'm sorry Hugo I had tongue firmly in cheek, A part of me does see such
works and say - you'll never do anything that's as good as that; luckily
my vanity kicks in with a - no you'll do better <ironic grin>.

I am always willing to learn from such pieces, but find if you're not too
careful you can end up just copying them. I also try and aim to be vague
about any forthcoming ideas just in case someone else thinks hey that's a
good idea and produces something much better before me, after me's fine;
just not before :) Saying that, post this work I've got an idea for a 3D
imaging of a 2D representation of a 4D diagram which I've not come across
anyone else doing before, good and vague I trust :P

As for the water you're quite right; for the WIP it was just applied to
the floor to see how it turned out reflection-wise, I posted a better
example elsewhere on this thread, I do that solely as I find you can get
better/interesting effects by doing something the 'wrong' way and I do
like the texture it produced, a shiny odd melted look; you should have
seen the effect I got with the light-stream media after applying a pure
bozo to it - funky as I'm sure you can imagine.

--
Phil

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.