POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP - Flooded Corridor 95k : Re: WIP - Flooded Corridor 95k Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP - Flooded Corridor 95k
From: Phil Cook
Date: 23 Feb 2004 12:03:57
Message: <opr3t1oenmp4ukzs@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:50:37 -0600, Shay <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote:

> "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote in message
> |
> | Now I'm depressed seeing what others produce in this style. No, I
> | will use this as a spur to greater efforts; as it should be.
>
> I noticed that all of those pictures had significantly less light than
> yours. A second building outside of the windows might increase the
> impact of the (then smaller) media effects. Broken, dirty windows with
> both filtered and unfiltered sunlight entering in would give your image
> an aspect which the others lack.

Fiddling with the windows was another thing on the list :) I made the
window glass a separate object for that very reason.

My initial concept was for a very stark contrast from the light, as if
you'd just stepped from a lit room into this corridor and your eyes are
still trying to adjust* hence the OD on light, which I think I've achieved
with a rgb 5 parallel light (anything lower produces a grey edging?), with
the glow coming from a emission media just inside the frame which means
you can still see the framework silhouetted against the white glass in the
closest pane, as a result of that I doubt I could put a building outside
and have it show up without diminishing the contrast ratio. But broken
windows is definitely on the list of Things To Do (TM)

The only problem is producing a decent image with the reflected framework
means +a0.0 <sigh> and that takes a while.

*which means the floor should technically be pretty much solid black bar
the patches, which is how it appeared at first, but it looked like they
were floating in space, tweaking the ambient helped but still needs a
slightly better balance I feel.
--
Phil

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.