POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects : Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved intersection routine for CSG-Intersection objects
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 14 Jan 2004 23:44:50
Message: <opr1svpgu4hr234r@news.povray.org>
> Yes and no.
> Give me a ratio old version <-> new version and i'll give you a scene
> that shows a better ratio :-).
> This is a problem with benchmarks or measurements generally, you have
> to have a close look at the boundary conditions.
> IMHO benchmark.pov can be used to benchmark the hardware it is running
> on but i wouldn't use it to profile/compare different versions of
> POV-Ray on the same hardware.
>
> Andreas

I agree. Just because a patch does not appreciably speed up benchmark.pov
does not mean that the patch isn't worthwhile. Why is benchmark.pov
arbitrarily declared to be the ideal or typical POV-Ray scene, anyway?
With so many possibilities of doing things in POV-Ray, is there even such
a thing as "the typical scene" ?

George