POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jargon files: family edition : Re: Jargon files: family edition Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jargon files: family edition
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 30 Nov 2014 01:34:37
Message: <op.xp4kjyd3ufxv4h@xena.home>
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:48:52 +0200, Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

> For no apparent reason I started to think about words that families use
> amongst themselves that completely confuse everyone else. Actually, I
> lie; the reason was that the Feegle was trying to explain to a colleague
> of mine what he did in school today and he kept using the word
> 'underhay' - colleague totally mystified.
>
> An underhay is a teacher; his first teacher was Miss Underhay so (by his
> logic, all teachers are underhays.
>
> Other words we use:
> Lolo (n.) - any flying machine; a contraction of lietadlo, Slovak for
> aeroplane.
> Wee-Baby (n.) - a children's playground; more often used now for a
> playground used by children younger than the Feegle is now.
> Spell (v.) - any game involving rough play, usually only boys are
> involved except when Ellie (his best friend) is around when she kicks
> sh*t out the rest despite being much smaller.
>
> What u got?
>
> John

I called my kids "piesangskilletjies" when they were small, but that was
just being silly. After a couple of years it started sounding a bit weird,
so I stopped calling them that.

My middle son uses "ni how" "o-hi-o" "sionara" and "kinichiwa", Chinese
and Japanese - he's into Shinobi history.

Many times we play with words and make up things on the fly, but nothing
really sticks. :)

--
-Nekar Xenos-