POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Deus Ex: Human Revolution : Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 17 May 2014 08:13:38
Message: <op.xfz6wtlkufxv4h@xena.home>
On Wed, 14 May 2014 22:57:16 +0200, Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> I'm not precisely sure which camp Deus Ex is in, but it seems to be the
> latter:
> * It takes 4 bullet hits to kill you.
> * It takes about twelve bullet hits to kill an opponent.
> * The rate at which I expend ammo *vastly* exceeds the rate at which I
> can find more. Thus far, I have yet to have more than 12 bullets in my
> inventory simultaneously. And that's for a pistol!

You can play the game with minimal killing, so bullet/kill ratio is not
that important.
Taking cover and blind-firing also helps a lot.

> So it seems the idea is to sneak past people. Now in Crysis, you can
> press a button and turn invisible. In Far Cry, you can hide in the
> bushes. And you've got binoculars. And a freaking sniper rifle! In
> Batman, you can see in the dark and see through walls. You also have the
> ability to fly and to instantly scale walls.
>
> In Deux Ex, on the other hand, you're just a guy. OK, a guy with
> sunglasses embedded IN YOUR FACE... but you certainly don't have any
> special cyborg abilities. You can't run, you can't jump, you can't climb,

You can.

> your vision is inferior to normal humans (in that every flat surface
> lights up yellow when you look at it)

This is true. I don't know why they made everything yellow. Maybe it's
gold-tinted Oakley's?

> , and you die about as easily as a normal human too. So... I'm not sure
> how it's supposed to be possible to sneak past people.

Invisibility is available.

> Having died in this way multiple times, I concluded that the only
> possible way out of this situation is to take out the guard. I mean,
> every few seconds he comes and stands *right next to* where I'm hiding,
> *with his back to me*. There is no logical reason for why a human would
> do that; I can only conclude that the game is purposely designed this
> way to make it easy for me to take him out. (This *is* one of the
> opening missions, after all...)
>
> So I take the guy out. (It's *really* frustrating how the button to put
> somebody to sleep and the button to KILL them are *the same button*! So
> every time you take somebody down, there's a 50% chance you'll kill them
> rather than just knock them out...) Now I can go hack the door... well
> OK, on the fifth attempt I can hack the door! (I have yet to work out
> what the myriad of different icons actually *mean*...)

Tap to knock-out, hold in to kill.

> In fact, I tried to sneak off, but we saw me, and I got killed. So I
> reloaded the game... WHAT! The last save was TWO HOURS AGO?!
>
> Rage-quit.

Stealth is like Pov-Ray. It requires patience.

> PS. I enjoy the fact that I bought an upgrade that supposedly allows you
> to "see through walls", only then to find out that you have to manually
> turn it on somehow. Shame they couldn't make a tutorial to tell you
> *how*, eh?

Take a look at the controls menu on how to see through walls.

Maybe you should start with difficulty set to easy.

--
-Nekar Xenos-