POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interdimensional slices : Re: Interdimensional slices Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interdimensional slices
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 26 Jul 2013 14:03:58
Message: <op.w0ucgtywufxv4h@xena>
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:36:45 +0200, Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> On 26/07/2013 05:16 AM, clipka wrote:
>> String theory postulates that there are indeed - AFAIR - about half a
>> dozen extra dimensions, and it is suggested that they may indeed all be
>> curled up in this manner, with sizes roughly on the scale of sub-atomic
>> particles.
>
> More fully: Some formulations of string theory suggest that the universe
> has as many as 11 spatial dimensions. The obvious question is then "so
> why can't I see any of them?", and the only answer anybody has come up
> with is "well, maybe they're really tiny..."

That one is easy. Simply because our eyes can only see in 2d. We can
perceive 3d images because of the stereoscopic effect of having 2 eyes.

I think it is possible that this universe itself may be 4d or even more
dimensions, but we can only perceive a 3d slice of it.

If a 4d being has only 2d and 3d "perceptors", how will it know that it is
4d?

--
-Nekar Xenos-