POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Statistics : Re: Statistics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Statistics
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 29 Jun 2011 09:26:38
Message: <op.vxuaasc6mn4jds@phil-pc>
And lo On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:03:39 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake thusly:

> On 23/06/2011 06:10 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 23.06.2011 16:02, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>>
>>> What about the number of killed people in aircraft per year ?
>>
>> Far less than in car accidents. Flying is actually the safest way to
>> travel on a risk-per-distance basis, even before trains.
>
> Any random drunk that wants to can stagger into a car and proceed to
> cause utter carnage. You can't really do that with an aeroplane.

Excepting those stories regarding drunk pilots

> A plane undergoes rigorous safety checks every single damned time it
> goes anywhere. You're *supposed* to do that with a car too. You're
> literally supposed to check that all the tires look good, etc., every
> time before you drive off. How many people ever do this?

Yes but just as you're supposed to check a car a plane is also *supposed*
to be checked; doesn't mean it is.

> Planes are guided by air traffic control. They have two pilots. They
> have automated computer failsafes. There's less traffic per volume of
> space to actually hit. Need I continue?

However they're also travelling faster, further, and (allegedly) with less
allowance for fuel.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com