POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Airbubbles in icicle test : Airbubbles in icicle test Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Airbubbles in icicle test
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 26 Dec 2010 13:23:13
Message: <op.vob2owkz0819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
Single icicle with air bubbles, rendered in 4.5min.
I do not know what to think about this prototype yet.
I am happy with the irregular shapes formed by the bubbles, but not
completely satisfied with the distribution.

Real icicles are formed in layers, which I could do by (I think) a method
similar to the way I test if the air bubbles are "inside" the icicle
object.
Right now I construct a sphere based approximation of the icicle and test
against that to determine if the air bubbles are "inside" the real icicle
object. I suppose if I executed a recursive orbiting trace() of that
object, placing air bubbles as well as perhaps *slightly* varying the IOR
of each layer, I might be able to emulate something like what you see at
the following link:
http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~smorris/edl/icicleripples/icicleripples.html

Any thoughts?

Branching as seen in the following link is next:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3475/3238212338_9245029bf5.jpg?v=0

--
Ian McDonald
Lean Agile .NET 4.0/MVC