POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bauble : Re: A bauble Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bauble
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 21 Dec 2010 19:46:44
Message: <op.vn3a3pfs0819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
Glows correctly positioned, but not using the corrected texture. The dee

blue one took 3 days, the other (with corrected texture) took 15 min (wi
th

radiosity?!?)...go figure... O__o'

So much to learn...

Ian

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:08:59 -0500, [GDS|Entropy]

,
> and many more spheres. This takes an awful amount of time with glows o
n.

> Ultimately, I need to make this texture consistent with generic ice.
>
> Ian
>
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:38:13 -0500, Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
>

>>> finish {
>>> ambient 0
>>> diffuse 1
>>
>> Try diffuse 0, or some smallish value.
>>
>>> brilliance 0.05
>>
>> Extremely low value! Your surface reaction to illumination is almost
>> independent from the direction of the incident light. Such a value is

>> rather unexpected for a shiny, reflective surface.
>> I'm partial of using larger value, at least 1, probably more.
>>
>>> specular 0.5
>>> roughness 0.001
>>> reflection 0.125
>>> }
>>
>> For your material, I'd use some variable reflection with fresnel and
>> conserve_energy, but, here it's mostly a test.
>> Suggestion: reflection{0.05, 0.25 fresnel} conserve_energy
>>

>>> interior {
>>> fade_distance 2
>>> fade_power 3 // maybe this?
>>
>> This should be fade_power 1 OR fade_power 1001.
>> fade_power 3 is totaly unrealistic in the real world. It may be used
>> simulate a light_source glowing through some medium that restricts it
's
>> propagation, like in some underwater scene.
>> The realistic values are:
>> interior: fade_power 1 OR fade_power 1001
>> light_source: fade_power 2
>>
>>> ior 1.45
>>> caustics 1.0
>> remove this if you use photons.
>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> Actually the bluish look of the background comes from the glows, as
it
>>> is really black and the ground white.
>>>
>>> Weird stuff.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>

>> You don't define fade_color, so it defaults to black.
>>
>> Finaly, it looks like your sphere is reflecting your glow colour.
>>

>> Alain

Attachments:
Download 'blobtest2011_0.png' (163 KB) Download 'blobtest2011_0_0.png' (225 KB)

Preview of image 'blobtest2011_0.png'
blobtest2011_0.png

Preview of image 'blobtest2011_0_0.png'
blobtest2011_0_0.png