POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A bauble : Re: A bauble Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A bauble
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Date: 20 Dec 2010 23:09:09
Message: <op.vn1ps92m0819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
Ok, glows off, adapted texture in use (seems dark, like impure glass?),

and many more spheres. This takes an awful amount of time with glows on.

Ultimately, I need to make this texture consistent with generic ice.

Ian

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:38:13 -0500, Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

>> finish {
>> ambient 0
>> diffuse 1
>
> Try diffuse 0, or some smallish value.
>
>> brilliance 0.05
>
> Extremely low value! Your surface reaction to illumination is almost

> independent from the direction of the incident light. Such a value is

> rather unexpected for a shiny, reflective surface.
> I'm partial of using larger value, at least 1, probably more.
>
>> specular 0.5
>> roughness 0.001
>> reflection 0.125
>> }
>
> For your material, I'd use some variable reflection with fresnel and

> conserve_energy, but, here it's mostly a test.
> Suggestion: reflection{0.05, 0.25 fresnel} conserve_energy
>

>> interior {
>> fade_distance 2
>> fade_power 3 // maybe this?
>
> This should be fade_power 1 OR fade_power 1001.
> fade_power 3 is totaly unrealistic in the real world. It may be used t

> simulate a light_source glowing through some medium that restricts it'

> propagation, like in some underwater scene.
> The realistic values are:
> interior: fade_power 1 OR fade_power 1001
> light_source: fade_power 2
>
>> ior 1.45
>> caustics 1.0
> remove this if you use photons.
>
>> }
>>
>> Actually the bluish look of the background comes from the glows, as i
>> is really black and the ground white.
>>
>> Weird stuff.
>>
>> Ian
>>

> You don't define fade_color, so it defaults to black.
>
> Finaly, it looks like your sphere is reflecting your glow colour.
>

> Alain

Attachments:
Download 'blobtest2011_0_0.png' (180 KB)

Preview of image 'blobtest2011_0_0.png'
blobtest2011_0_0.png