POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shiny things! : Re: Shiny things! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shiny things!
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 6 Sep 2009 00:57:10
Message: <op.uztj1ean6b35ac@your-727a0a4e7c.vipowernet.net>
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:50:21 -0400, Mike Raiford
<mraXXXiford.at.@g1023mail.com> wrote:

> On the left is a Table Cut. Nothing exciting, basically follows the
> natural shape of a diamond. On the right is an Old Single Cut with two
> different parameters. Neither of these are the well-known brilliant cut,
> though the Old Single cut may very well be the basis for the brilliant
> cut, since it already has all of the proper angles.

I did a brilliant round cut a few years ago, but was never satisfied with
the results.  They just never had the level of sparkle that I see in real
diamonds.  Looking at the light traces, I suspect that my parameters may
be suboptimal.  (I got the parameters from a Web site that appears to have
passed on.)

I also suspect a bug (feature?) in dispersion: renders seem to be darker
than without dispersion.  It just occurred to me that the multiple
reflections and refractions in a cut gem could possibly exacerbate the
problem.

I know Chris B. will show up to buttonhole us any second now, so I'll just
say that I've been shy about submitting this, because of my
dissatisfaction of the sparkle, but also because I fear that, with just
the one cut, the module lacks generality.

--
<Insert witty .sig here>

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'diamond0-lo.jpg' (5 KB) Download 'diamond0-hi.jpg' (6 KB) Download 'diamond-demo-c.png' (33 KB) Download 'diamond_b90.png' (63 KB) Download 'diamond_b75.png' (130 KB)

Preview of image 'diamond0-lo.jpg'
diamond0-lo.jpg

Preview of image 'diamond0-hi.jpg'
diamond0-hi.jpg