POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TerraPOV tutorial articles in p.b.t : Re: TerraPOV tutorial articles in p.b.t Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TerraPOV tutorial articles in p.b.t
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 12 May 2009 15:32:51
Message: <op.utt0k008m1sclq@pignouf>

> alphaQuad wrote:
>> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>>> One of the nicest CGI images of the Earth that I've ever seen.  Kudos!
>>>
>>> KW
>>  "kick it up a notch"

> Nice, but I'm a bit worried by the sharpness of the rings' shadows on
> the planet. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but I just feel that they
> should be much more diffuse.
> I guess that with the distance of the light source there shouldn't be a
> significant area_light, it would be more of a point source, but I don't
> know.

I will not answer for him, but I can give my feeling about it. Perhaps
some of these may contribute to the problem you raised:

-) the scattering amount needs some tuning
-) the real 'useful' atmosphere might be thicker than that of TerraPOV.
Upper atmosphere low density is negligible from ground but may be not
negligible from outer space. It might have a significant contribution in
the integration in the latter case
-) the behaviour we have can be due to position of the sun relative to the
planet and camera, and be normal...

What is certain: I'm not sure ...

Bruno

--