POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Still random : Re: Still random Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Still random
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 7 May 2009 14:39:49
Message: <op.utkosnsf7bxctx@e6600>
On Thu, 07 May 2009 20:13:08 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I'm wondering: Given that the blue component is significantly less
> important than the other components (as demonstrated in another thread),
> wouldn't it be cheaper to produce CCD cells where there are only half of
> the blue cells? In other words, each second RGB triplet would actually
> lack the B detector

The sensor itself (be it CCD or CMOS) is monochrome in the vast majority
of digital cameras, the notable exceptions being the handful of cameras
based on Foveon sensors.

Most digital cameras use a Bayer filter to get colour; these have half the
cells dedicated to green and a quarter each to red and blue.

> the blue component can then be interpolated from
> adjacent pixels in software

This already happens with all three colour components.

--
FE