POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Jul 2008 10:58:13
Message: <op.udrvvjiac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:16:22 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> For some reason, we live in a culture where it is seen as "desirable" to
> not be cleaver. People who are good at football are regarded as gods,
> but anybody who claims to be good at (say) trigonometry is regarded as a
> pathetic failure of a human being.

Here in the UK Kate Fox puts in down to being part of the Importance of
Not Being Earnest rule. It's perfectly alright to be good at mathmatics
provided you a) don't obviously study for it and b) are able to put down
your own talents. Otherwise you've either taking it too seriously or
showing off and both of those are cardinal sins and deserve beatings to
knock it out of you.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com