POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC Space entry continued : IRTC Space entry continued Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC Space entry continued
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 24 Jan 2010 14:49:37
Message: <op.u61yocw9ufxv4h@xena>
My IRTC entry was pretty much a rush-job and I still want to make a good
image of it.

I've made a couple of changes according to the comments on my entry.

Fortunately the render time has gone down from 12:30 hours to 1:30 hours
after working more on the clouds :)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to get a good-looking
figure-of-eight ringed binary planet with realistic dimensions, so I've
increased the distance between the planets 1.5 times. I still want to redo
the crafts completely with more detail but I'm not very sure about the
texture for a space-craft. Maybe black and white like a space-shuttle or
else I'll keep the metal look and just dirty it up a bit... what do you
think?

Can anybody please help me on the following, I can't seem to find any
solution:

A)The transparencies on the rings aren't right - I used discs. If you look
at the edge of the rings where it covers the planet's atmosphere, it
doesn't fade even though the transmit value is 1. I've tried various
combinations of filter and transmit as well, but nothing seems to fix it.
I've also tried a higher max_trace_level but it still didn't help. How can
I fix it?

B) The atmosphere looks right to me, but the planet's shadow seems too
sudden, resulting in a sharp line where the shadow on the see starts and
the atmosphere overlaps. Any ideas on how to fix it?

I'll post the code to povray.test.scene-files

Attachments:
Download 'planetsb.jpg' (658 KB)

Preview of image 'planetsb.jpg'
planetsb.jpg