POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 22:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 15 Apr 2008 07:33:34
Message: <op.t9ng2ebyc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:49:57 +0100, Chambers
<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> did spake, saying:

> Gail Shaw wrote:
>> Now, I know very little about the economic situation in the US, other
>> that
>> what I read, so I may be waaaay off base but...
>> Look how many of the comments are only blaming the government. Is
>> everyone
>> else completely without blame?
>
> I blame the people.
>
> Here's one comment I loved:
>
> "The middle class is to blame for for middle class woes. Middle class
> America has been living lifestyle that exceeds their income for far too
> long.
>
> It’s hard for me to feel sorry for people living in McMansions, with
> plasma tv’s and driving luxury cars and SUVs. I think before the
> governemnt starts giving out more handouts, middle class America needs
> to tighten their belts, live sensibly, and yes, maybe even cancel cable
> TV before sending out a lynch mob on the GOP and big oil."
>
> The other day, I was talking to someone about saving money.  They tried
> the usual objects, "Oh, it's hard, I don't make very much, blah blah
> blah".  Of *course* they think it's hard, they've never done it! Anyway,
> I was telling this person that first, it's possible, and second, it's
> important that they make sacrifices to save money.  One of the other
> tellers butted in, agreeing with the customer that it wasn't reasonable
> to expect them to save money!  I practically wanted to rip her throat
> out for being so stupid, and undermining everything I was saying.

Ah now see you're being a good member of society and she's being a good
member of the bank; remember it's debt that makes the world go around. You
should be encouraging people to live beyond their means by taking out ever
increasing loans; that's how bonuses are awarded.

> As long as society in general doesn't value thriftiness(1), sacrifice,
> or saving, then society in general will have all kinds of problems.  I'm
> not going to have those problems(2), because I'm not going to *let*
> myself have them.

Well no we seeing what happens when banks stop wanting to lend out money
and people are begin to want to save and not move houses, buy that new car
etc. The economy starts to grind to a halt.

> (2) This is not to say I won't have problems.  However, I'm not going to
> have to worry about my financial future, or my ability to live.  I am
> completely in control of those things, and I know enough to take care of
> myself.

Then in economic terms you're a plug stopping the flow of money, how
selfish of you :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com