POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 Apr 2008 11:39:55
Message: <op.t9lxsxjic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:23:19 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>

did spake, saying:

> Did you actually look at where the numbers come from? Do you think a

> report from the IRS to the House Of Representatives has *less* reliabl

> numbers on income and tax paying than you'll find elsewhere?

I've checked one level down and the figures are accurate, they're just n
ot

explained well.

For example if:

9 people earn $2,000/year with tax@10%
1 person earns $10,000/year with tax@10%

Therefore total tax = $2,800

Therefore the top 10% is paying ~36% of all the tax; better yet

9 people earn $2,000/year with tax@10%
1 person earns $10,000/year with tax@8%

Therefore total tax = $2,600

Therefore the top 10% is paying ~31% of all the tax. How dare we force

this percentile to carry the burden for the remainder :-P

Nota Bene. With the real figures the bottom 50% pay between 7% and 12% o

their taxable income whereas the top 50% pay between 12% and 28%, so the

really are paying more percentage-wise it's just that they're not paying

'as much' as the press release might suggest.

--

Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com