POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found this interesting : Re: I found this interesting Server Time
2 Oct 2024 02:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found this interesting
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Apr 2008 05:54:58
Message: <op.t9b8grc4c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 07 Apr 2008 05:44:56 +0100, Gail Shaw sa dot com>
<"<initialsurname"@sentech> did spake, saying:

> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
>>
>> The disdain that "real" programmers feel for newbies who crank out quick
>> code using "toy" languages is, I think, more akin to the disdain "real"
>> mathematicians feel towards business math majors.  Sure, they can "press
>> the buttons", but they don't really know what they're doing.  It's not
>> about jealousy - after all, many programmers who started out writing
>> assembly code are now using higher level languages and cranking out code
>> just as quickly.  It's about perceived understanding of what your code
>> actually does.
>
> Agreed.
>
> What bugs me no end is that some people don't want to learn. They're not
> interested in understanding what the code does. They just want to get
> something 'working' (for certain definitions of working) as fast as
> possible.

Time is money - hey it took me a third the time to produce this working
code then you did yours. Oh sure your code scales up whereas mine conks
out with large input, and sure your code is robust whereas mine fails if
someone sneezes at it in the wrong direction; but mine works *now* with
what we're using *now* and it took less time to write then yours - neh neh
neh neh. ;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com